Tuesday, April 15, 2014

In the beginning



Did you know that Genesis is a word that can mean “birth”, “history of origin”, or “genealogy”?

What can we observe about who God is from His role in the beginning of the world?

And what does the world He made, tell us about Him?

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
Gen 1:27-28

The five books of Moses were collectively called the Pentateuch, a word of Greek origin meaning "the five-fold book."

The Jews called them the Torah, i.e., "the law."

It is probable that the division of the Torah into five books proceeded from the Greek translators of the Old Testament.

The names by which these several books are generally known are Greek.

The first book of the Pentateuch (q.v.) is called by the Jews Bereshith, i.e., "in the beginning", because this is the first word of the book.

It is generally known among Christians by the name of Genesis, i.e., "creation" or "generation," because it gives an account of the origin of all things.

It contains, according to the usual computation, the history of about two thousand three hundred and sixty-nine years.

In the Genesis God creates the universe.

How do you enjoy His creation?

Do you give yourself time to delight every day in everything He has done?

According to the Bible, God gave human being dominion over the earth and the sea and the sky, and everything that is in them.

How have we honored our stewardship?

Is there anything you could personally do to take better care of what God has given us?

This post is part of on-going series. If you enjoyed this post you might want to read the first one, called God, Mighty Creator, too.

13 comments:

  1. I just had this same discussion with a group of ladies. We must do better with what God gives us because we shouldn't take his grace and mercy for granted. Thanks for confirmation that the talk was very much needed......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, Pamela, or at least this is how I have understood what I have read and heard, we get the salvation for free. But part of salvation, is giving ourselves to God. And the fruit of that, of us giving ourselves over, giving up the control and letting God guide us, is doing what He wants us to do. Not to be saved but because we love Him and want to be like Him.

      Delete
  2. God must be very happy with your blogging. I'm thinking he loves when people talk about him so favorably to others, and you always do (and with scripture reference). It's a great way to offer testimony. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is a very lovely thing to say. I hope to be a testament in everything I do and write :)

      Delete
  3. I love your pictures and your messages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing.... this is good info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure there is a lot more that I could be doing. I will really have to ponder this question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Pictures & Such Beautiful Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learn so much from you, Genesis is another aspect I didn't know much before. I need to work on my enjoying everyday part though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to enjoy, Petro. And while you get better at it, it's amazing how differently one looks at everything around. Small things can bring so much joy. I think that's part of being like child, that Jesus talks about. Being amazed about little miracles in nature and people around us every day.

      Delete
  8. I believe in GOD :) Beautiful write up. I like the story of the creation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sentiment behind this. Enjoy every day to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's when I'm outdoors and seeing what his hand made that I find myself breathing deeply and feeling gratitude and thanks for this world.

    ReplyDelete