Thursday, January 2, 2014

Hearts of brave knights and heroic courage

Most of the people must be familiar with C. S. Lewis's Narnia books. They are part of the popular culture, with different movie versions, and also classic children's book.

In the first book written in the series, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe four ordinary children are thrown into a magical world of talking animals, dancing trees, fauns, witches, monsters and minotaurs; the mythical good and evil.

The children, brothers and sisters, two girls and two boys, find themselves standing in snow filled Narnia with barely nothing, just the clothes on them and, luckily, the fur coats they found stumbling through the magical wardrobe.

In this new world they must ally with loyal and good animals, fight evil magic and horrible monsters. Armed with a pair of swords, a bow and arrows, and their courage and intelligence.
Since it is so likely that (children) will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have hearts of brave knights and heroic courage. Otherwise you are making their destiny not brighter but darker. - C. S. Lewis
C. S. Lewis talks about the situation where he put his characters and tell us: "Since it is so likely that (children) will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have hearts of brave knights and heroic courage. Otherwise you are making their destiny not brighter but darker".

Luckily the children are not alone. In Narnia, or beyond the Great Western Sea, lives Aslan, the Lion, who saves Narnians and the children, by giving his life for them as a sacrifice. This way he fulfills the Great Magic from before time. And since he is an innocent victims, without sin, he can conquer the death itself and come back to save everyone from the White Witch's clutches.

This is of course an allegory, an imaginary story that represents real events, of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. Just like in Narnia, in real life, Jesus was an innocent sacrifice, given so we could be saved. And because He was innocent and without sin, Jesus could conquer death and come back to us.

It says in 1 Corinthians 15:57-58 - “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” (NIV).

The children in Narnia give themselves "fully to the work of Lord". Even with the threats that it represents to their lives they fight for the good, the Narnia and Narnians.
1 Corinthians 15:57-58 - “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” (NIV)
You may say, well, it's easy for them. C. S. Lewis made them courageous, with hearts of brave knights!

The truth is that God has given us a courageous heart also, and heroic courage. We can be true heroes in the mythical fight for the good, against the bad.

The problem is, it doesn't feel as heroic when it happens in "real" life. Because here the fight consists in not gossiping, instead of letting the arrows fly against the horrible enemy.

It may mean, instead of killing a minotaur, not going out with your friends on Sunday but attending the service in your local church.

It can be as glamorous as, instead of a sword fight with the head of the wolf secret police, helping the elderly in your community.

Charles Spurgeon says “Must is a hard nut to crack, but it has a sweet kernel.”
Must is a hard nut to crack, but it has a sweet kernel. Charles Spurgeon
Maybe it would help from time to time imagine ourselves as knights in a shining armor, with swords in our hands, or if you prefer, lithe elvish knights armed with bows and arrows.

Because we are part of God's army, eradicating the evil from the universe.

If you enjoyed this post about C. S. Lewis's Narnia, you might also like another post about his work, here.

Maybe you would like to read the Narnia series. Amazon has them all with a great prize.



You can get the movies from them also.


 

44 comments:

  1. I've heard of them, but never read them, so honestly I don't know anything about them. Maybe someday my kids will want to read them & I will borrow them from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading the books to my son and I really recomend doing it. They are excelent books and entertaining to adults also.

      Delete
  2. CS Lewis wrote the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as a knock off Jesus story - so many Christian values in those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call it a knock off but it is a myth of a greater, true myth, as C. S. Lewis would say, Lindsey :)

      Delete
  3. I have never read the Narnia series either and have only seen parts of the movies! Some time I will have to read the whole series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recomend them. They are an amazing read, even for an adult.

      Delete
  4. I've read the series with the kids. They really enjoyed it.
    Kas

    ReplyDelete
  5. C. S. Lewis is amazing and I love to read everything he writes. Your photos are just amazing....something I've never seen. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen the Narnia series but haven't ever read it. I think my Grandkids are reading it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recomend reading them. They are an amazing read for adult too.

      Delete
  7. I want to read these books - I didn't realize there was such a valuable story within the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fitting! I just watched Courageous the movie last night (for like the 20th time) and was thinking of how I could apply the courageous charge to my own life as a wife. I love the Chronicles of Narnia movie and would like to watch the sequels soon. This is a beautiful post :) Have a restful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautifully written, and just what I needed to hear today. I will share it on FB. I gave you a little Top Mommy love as well. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember these books as a child and LOVED THEM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing books, and take you to a magical world. Even when you are an adult :)

      Delete
  11. My daughter loved these books. We saw the play for the lion, Witch,and the Wardrobe as well. We regally enjoyed it. -April

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read the Narnia books or seen the movies, but my daughter loved the movie! It sounds like the book has a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read the book to her. My son loves it when I read them to him.

      Delete
  13. We have to trust God that he's given us what we need for our battles. I really loved that series as a child, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it, Liz. And you are right. God does make sure we have what we need.

      Delete
  14. my 2 older kids love this series. we even have them on their ipods so they can listen as they fall asleep. i guess it's time to introduce them to my youngest kid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that, Melinda. And I agree, you should introduce Narnia to them, and them to Narnia.

      Delete
  15. I remember reading "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" when I was a little girl. I also enjoyed sharing it with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have the most beautiful pictures of Ecuador. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. we are actually getting ready to read this with our older 2 kiddos. i love the narnia series!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love C.S. Lewis and when the first movie came out I immediately bought the books. I'm one of those parents who encourage the kids to read the books before watching the movie. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Amanda. It's good to read the books first.

      Delete
  19. I have heard of the books, but have never read them. Thanks for the rendition though, sounds like a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have time to read them, Jamie. They are excelent read even for adults.

      Delete
  20. I have always liked his books. I read the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe in 2nd grade.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sad to admit that I've never read the Lion the witch and the Wardrobe books. I need to get on that!

    Cassie
    http://southeastbymidwest.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed reading those books as a child. It's nice to draw on some of those stories as adults.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never seen Narnia. When I watch it I will be remembering this post and looking similarities to Jesus's life and lessons.

    Thanks for linking up for #fFlashbackFriday!!!

    ReplyDelete