Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Our new home - Why we love Bailarina


When we came to live in Tena with my son in August 2012 it was very hard for him to accept.

Before that we lived in Quito and I only visited Tena and traveled here and back, trying to be as efficient as possible in work and miss as little time as possible with my son.

Matthew 6:14-15

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

For me, it was time of guilt and bad conscience for one side and respite from the tensions in my married for another.

Finally, my husband's infidelity came too obvious and I was relieved to be able to leave him and give our marriage for a failure.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
For my son, this meant leaving his father, his school, his friends, his cousins and other extended family, in other words, everything he was used, everything he was familiar with.

It was hard time for us both.

Isaiah 43:25-26
"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.  Review the past for me, let us argue the matter together; state the case for your innocence.

My son was afraid of not getting new friends, he suffered in the new school where I put him, and finally, in the middle of the semester, I had to change him to another school.

The first house where we lived was filled with vermin, giant cockroaches, wasps, black tarantulas, possums, and various other local animal forms.
I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note - torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one.
Henry Ward Beecher

Besides the house had been a bar, which I knew, and a bordello, which I didn't know.

And the former clients would come at night knocking and shouting, demanding for attention.

Finally, we found a new home, a beautiful house in a very nice and quiet neighborhood.

Numbers 14:19-21

In accordance with your great love, forgive the sin of these people, just as you have pardoned them from the time they left Egypt until now."  The LORD replied, "I have forgiven them, as you asked.  Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the LORD fills the whole earth,

And my son started to enjoy going to school, in his new school.

He started to get new friends and enjoy his life, cycling to see them, inviting them to our home to play with the computer.

But he still had nightmares.

He still was afraid to sleep alone I his room.

Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was found, is saved from being lost again.
Saint Augustine

Most nights he would sleep next to me.

I told him that he wouldn't sleep alone, his cat liked to go to bed with him.

But would leave at night, and he would wake up at night, in the darkness, alone.

My son with his, please, can we take him back home with us, face.

Our snautzer didn't want to sleep with him but would jump out of the bed and run to sleep under mine.

Finally, last July his friend told him that their chihuahua was going to have puppies.

I told my son he could have one, but it would be his Christmas present, ahead of time, and there would be no other gifts.

Micah 7:18-19
Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.  You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.

He told me that he wouldn't mind because he wanted the dog; it would be his friend and would sleep the nights with him.

In September he got his friend, a little girl chihuahua puppy.
Without forgiveness, there's no future.
Desmond Tutu

We called her Bailarina because she likes to stand in her back paws when she is excited and it looks like she is dancing around.

It has been another adventure.

The puppy sleeps with Mikael, he finally has his loyal loving friend.

Mark 11:25
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. "

But puppies can't sleep all the night without waking up to go to bathroom.

So we have had a lot of accidents.

But she is learning and sleeping next to my son.
Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life.
George MacDonald

Who now can rest easily his nights on his own bed, in his own room.

And I can only sigh, how fast do they grow.

How at once I want to keep him close and make him stand on his own.

My son with his Bailarina.

55 comments:

  1. Your son looks very happy with his new little friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, Nicole. And they make a perfect couple of friends :)

      Delete
  2. This looks like such a pretty place. I can't imagine seeing colorful birds out in the open like that. So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change is hard. I am glad you guys are all settled in and that Mikael finally has a friend to keep him safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. They are really good friends and very happy to be together, Felissa

      Delete
  5. I am so glad you found a beautiful new home and an adorable little friend for your son. It's amazing how much love and comfort can come from a little pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. And that is so true. Dog's love is so unconditional and when the dog is a puppy, it's even more so.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful son, lovely little dog. I hear everything you're saying here. I have kids, I've moved several times, I have 2 dogs. Very loving of you to give him this gift. Best of luck to you in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy. Bailarina is a very loving little dog and we're lucky to have her.

      Delete
  7. They do grow up way too fast! I'm glad he got a puppy. That's a great way to transition from the things he was struggling with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true. Dog's love is so unconditional, especially puppy's love.

      Delete
  8. That is wonderful that he got a puppy to help him overcome his fears during the night. I am so happy you found a new home that you liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam. Both Bailarina and the new home have been a huge blessing to us.

      Delete
  9. I just love your posts. It's so much fun to see life in another country.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet post, I love you! I am sorry you endured what you went through with your husband. I am sorry you had to go through all that you did but God is so good! I wish I could reach through my computer all the way on the other side of the world and give you a great big hug. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is so sweet of you. And I can feel the hug all the way through the computer until here :) God bless you and thank you. And a huge hug back to you :)

      Delete
  11. It sounds like you and your son have been through quite a bit together. But after all of that, isn't it nice to watch our children make a connection with something. His new friend is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Kathryn. Luckily children are resilient and can find a way to heal, when they have love and safety around them.

      Delete
  12. That is so sweet that he has a bit of comfort all night long now. I'm glad he has Bailarina.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at face!! Puppies can bring so much joy. I cannot believe how much my Tiny Grump has changed my life for the better. Glad to hear this story, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppies are amazing, Jennifer. And their love is so selfish and their hearts are huge.

      Delete
  14. Looks beautiful and like an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very beautiful here, Melissa. And in many ways the experience has been amazing.

      Delete
  15. Love your pictures! I'm so happy your son is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather. He is doing a lot better and he's happy here now.

      Delete
  16. I am glad things started working out for you and your child. It is so hard to move when things are so familiar to them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwe he is so adorable! I love that last photo. I'm glad things got better with the house, school, and definitely with the sleeping situations! My son's only 21 months, so I'm not sure what the future holds for us, but I was terrified of the dark as a child, so who knows...he may have the same issues. I love the solution you came up with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisebet. At 21 months it's hard to tell. My mom says that I used to sleep the nights trough since I was a little baby. Quite oposite from my son. So you can never really tell.

      Delete
  18. Aw, that is so adorable! Amber Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  19. I miss having a dog. They can bring such joy and happiness to a family. Our dog used to stand guard outside the baby's room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are really wonderful, Shannon. I'm sorry to hear about your furry friend and I hope you'll have a new one, one day.

      Delete
  20. What an amazing story. You have a strong little boy!

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww, how sweet that he got his nighttime companion. Definitely worth taking your Christmas present early, and then some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh the new pup is soooooo cute!! Your son must be so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awe, they are so cute together. I'm glad Bailarina has helped him overcome some of his fears. It's very hard on kids to cope with lots of changes especially emotional ones. My daughter doesn't sleep alone either although I'd leave the door open when I work late at night so she can see the light on but she's still scared that mommy is going to leave her for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children can have such strong fears, Petro. Even thought they are totally irrational. I still read my son a story and make sure he's asleep before I leave him with his Bailarina. If I move before he's really asleep, he asks me at once, are you going to leave? With such a scared voice.

      Delete
  24. We just got a puppy so I understand the accidents. I put her in her own crate kind of like her own room for her to sleep in at night and when she starts crying I know to take her outside, then she goes back in! It is working out so far. Glad your son got a new puppy to sleep with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The accidents are so tough to live with, Zulema. But she finally has learned and we are accident free :)

      Delete
  25. Awww, that's so sweet :) I love that your son found what he was looking for .... he looks truly happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your photographs are stunning. I absolutely love them, and the captions. Glad your son has some furry friends to help him through troubled times, things always get better with time and love.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on your new beginnings and surviving adversity. I am glad you like your new home and your son has a fur baby companion. I am glad he has a Bailarina to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chrishelle. It is so important for him. And thank you for your encouraging words :)

      Delete
  28. Joanna, was your husband from Ecuador?

    ReplyDelete