Monday, May 12, 2014

Chicha de chonta, or fermented chonta palm beer




For the Amazonian cultures, chicha is not only an alcoholic beverage, it is also a highly nutritious food.

It is consumed in times of food shortage, and it is a typical drink that is used to welcome special guests.

In the Andean region chicha is originally made from maize but in the amazon more commonly from yucca root or chonta fruit.

In the traditional production of chicha de maiz, or maize chicha, the enzymes that are needed to hydrolyse the starches in raw materials are derived from human saliva.
Chonta mash guarded at room temperature in the Amazon.
Older women masticate a coarsely ground meal, incorporating the amylases of their saliva.

The masticated meal has a dough-like consistency and can be formed to small cakes which are then dried and stored.

When chicha is produced these cakes or the dough is mixed in the water.

The human amylases complete their conversion of starch into fermentable sugars, and yeast and lactic acid fermentation is started by addition of a batch of a prior fermentation.
Adding riverwater to the chonta mash.

Depending on the temperature the fermentation is complete and it can take from 6 to 10 days.
In the Amazon area only women can touch the chicha and everyone produces their own typical chicha.

Very common type of Amazonic chicha is chicha de chonta.

Chonta is a palm that is originated from Amazon area of Ecuador and Peru.

The palm is covered with dark spines and its round fruits are yellow to red and they closely resemble peaches.
Mixing the chicha with hand, this is non-fermented chicha that is served instantly.

Chicha de chonta is a “fruit” beer, as the fruits since starch and fat rich fruits are used for brewing.
The fruits are cooked, peeled, chewed and mixed with water.

The mash is then left for spontaneous fermentation that can take from 3 to 4 days.

Chicha is also made from yucca root here in the Amazon.

Both yucca and chonta chicha are considered great delicacies and are always given to visitors as the first meal offered.
Expriming the water from mashed chicha.
If you do not accept the chicha and drink the whole pilche, or cup, you will not ever be offered anything in that house. 

Both chonta and yucca are gluten-free and rich in nutrients.

They are an excelent, and healthy, option for traditional beers or alcoholic beveraged that contain gluten. 

The family in the pictures is my friend, or adopted daughter Celia with her husband.
My friend, and adopted daughter, Celia with pilche of chicha.
The older kichwa lady is Celia's husbands aunt and my "cousin".

The family wanted to offer me the best they had and show around their house, a traditional wooden kichwa house in the Amazon.

It would have been an incredible insult not to drink chicha and not to drink the whole "pilche" or the tin cup that the lady used while making chicha.

Besides of a kichwa daughter, a lot of cousins, aunts and uncles, I also have four grandchildren now.

For vanity's sake I have to add that my daughter is only five years younger than I am.

45 comments:

  1. Wow what an interesting way to make it. Great pictures.

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of it, but now I am curious to taste it to see what it tastes like. Thanks for sharing this - I learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear about new foods, and this beer seems cool. The mash is strange looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting cultural tradition... I have never heard this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so interesting. Love finding new things and foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww your "daughter" is beautiful! That is funny that she is only four years younger. I love to hear about new foods too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Kichwa tradition, Krystal. My first daughter here is actually ten years older than I am, lol. But it's an honorary title. It is sort of like mentor, it means that you are an honored person that has taught them a lot and that they love and feel that loves and cares for them, a mother in other words.

      Delete
  7. I wish that people is the US cared more about insulting people. It seems to be more self-centered to not be afraid insult the host/hostess. Would like to try the chicha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the pictures you included with this post. The chicha de conta sounds so interesting and I love trying a new food from a different culture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am reading this right, they use their spit as an ingredient? Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it starts the fermenting process. Very important in a hot climat.

      Delete
    2. That is kinda of gross and kind of cool at the same time! LOL. Spit for an ingredient... What a recipe.

      Delete
  10. This is a very interesting beverage and food. But, wow, saliva as an ingredient sure seems interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got me until the saliva part. But very interesting to learn about other cultures and how they prepare beer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's pretty fascinating! It's quite a process to make it, and so interesting that you must drink the whole thing not to offend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought is fascinating, never heard of it before until now. Amazon is a place I always wanted to go but never made it, yet. Thanks for sharing
    In loving light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will be able to visit the Amazon one day, Cindy. This is an amazing place and I'm just scratching the surface here.

      Delete
  14. Wow I've never heard of this before! Really interesting cultural tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You lost me at saliva but this is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is eye opening to see how others live in other cultures. I had never heard of this type of food/drink.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of this, and it's a fascinating way of making something others will drink. I am not sure if I'd try it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of Chicha de Chonta before. It is interesting how it is made. I'd love to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always so interesting to learn about other cultures! What a process to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never heard of this mixture. What a treat for you to try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes! I'm not sure if I could handle pre-chewed food!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - that looks a little scary, but interesting! I'd try anything once! Beautiful pictures and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So I gather it is a staple. Does it taste like beer? Curious, as I don't like beer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's interesting! I'm guessing since drinking it is important noone minds that spit was required to make it?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful story with interesting history! I've never heard of this, but I think it would be something I would try.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great photos!! I'm not sure I would try it - well if they made it for me I would try a little bit, but not sure if it is something I would request! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! Looks like quite the process. I love seeing what other cultures do everyday for things we just buy at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beatifiul story. I love seeing how different cultures live their day to day lives.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never heard of this before! What a cool way to make a beer. My sister likes to make her own wine, so I'll have to show this to her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! Thank you for sharing! Very interesting cultural knowledge there-funny that my husband would joke the same thing if someone refused what he offered them in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is what I love about small village living. You make your own foods from scratch. Those are some of the things I remember growing up in Jamaica

    ReplyDelete
  32. Made with love. Just like how all great food should be made.Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would love to try this. I wonder if my dh could drink it since he's not allowed much alcohol because of medications. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's so nice that we get to see these things that you show us that we probably wouldn't without your blog. I think it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think I've seen this on a documentary once. I have never tried palm beer, but I am adventurous enough to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for this interesting lesson about this tradition and custom. The hubby does the beer thing and I'll have to tell him about this.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I enjoyed reading this post and learning more about a culture and people I am not familiar with, it was quite interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's so cool to read about etiquette in other countries. It's hard to imagine having to eat something or insulting someone. This was fascinating to read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love reading your posts. Learning so much about the culture, people and foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, super interesting! I always wonder who was the first person to figure out how to creatively use ingredients and items found in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, this is a VERY interesting food...got to love learning about new cultures!

    ReplyDelete