Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse



Since we separated with his dad, my son has been worried about the Zombie apocalypse.

He’s ten and has been afraid of the dark since he was little.

Our fighting and the atmosphere in house have always bothered him, especially when he started to grow.

And he used to ask as present for Christmas and his birthday that we would stop fighting.

That, and his father’s unfaithfulness, was what made me finally leave and take him with me.

It was a big change and at first my son would not accept living apart from his dad.

We had a lot of fights and he would escape to his wonderland of internet, movies and tv-shows.
Then he found an internet site for prepper children, and since his dad allows him to watch horror movies, he already knew all about the zombie.

He started making lists of everything we would need.

Charting maps where we should go.

Planning on how to get guns to defend us.

Some of the things I have indulged, like getting a flashlight that does not need batteries.

Because in a country full of violence, volcanos, earthquake, landslide and flood threats it is good to be prepared.

But I he really started to believe that there will be a zombie apocalypse (he was nine at the time and has a very active imagination).
And I had to sit him down and tell him that it would not happen.

That there are real threats that he needs to be careful of, there are things that could go wrong but there is no zombie virus ready to be spread at any moment.

I know there are people who believe that there will be a zombie apocalypse, adult people.

It might be even scientifically possible but it is not something that a child’s mind can really grasp.

For a while, he would be divided, with me he acted like everything was just a game.

Like there were no zombies, like he and his friends were just playing to get ready for everything.
But then he would burst out from his room panicky and tell me that he had heard in YouTube that the zombie virus had been set free.

Now he’s ten and with the wisdom of ages, he told me that zombie virus was not true and the video he had seen in YouTube were fakes.

I’m glad that he feels safe enough, that he has learned to cope with being separated from his dad and that world isn’t as scary for him anymore.

But we still keep playing from time to time.

We just went to look for a place I’m thinking about buying to build a house for us there.

It is 10 km out of Tena, a little walk from the road, in the middle of jungle.

So, I told him that it was our bug out place where we could be safe from the zombie apocalypse.

He was really angry that he had to leave his computer and come to see some stupid place with me.

But when I told him that we were building our safehouse against the zombies there, he got really excited.

He checked that there was water near, that it was away from the road, that we could grow food there, and told me that we needed to put a fence around everything and be sure that we’d have a metallic door.

We talked about having chicken and he told that we would need pigs too.

We also planned what kind of plants would be good to grow and have food from.

I could see how the fantasy got a hold of him and how he enjoyed playing the game with me but it was just a game.

He didn’t really believe it anymore, he wasn’t afraid anymore.

23 comments:

  1. What a very cool way to deal with the Zombie Apocalypse fears, and I'm glad to hear that he is not fearful like before. Videos and movies (and what we read) can have a profound effect on people at any age. The imagination is a powerful thing. When I was younger, I used to have extremely vivid dreams about being covered in snakes or ants, and I swore I could really feel them. Then, I read that at some point in time, we've all swallowed a spider or bug in our sleep. That didn't help. I used to sleep under the covers because of this as 'protection' - something I still did into my adult years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not want to hear that, Yona. I have bugfears of my own and knowing that I've eaten them does not make me happy, lol

      Delete
  2. It's good your son is facing his fears with Zombie Apocalypse. I don't allow my children to watch scary movies because it scares them and they start to believe what they see is real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go for him. It's so great that he overcame his fear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to overcome his fear! I stopped my girls from playing some games because of the zombies in them because one of my daughters scares easily. We really do have to watch out more what we let our kids see! I think being a parent and showing them the real world is awesome! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat post. I'm glad he's able to separate fantasy from reality a bit better now. All the best to you and your family with the move. He sounds like a really good kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cool and a good idea to do something like that. I would like to go to a place and plan out what would happen if we would be invaded or something. I doubt I would make it, I don't know how to live off the land but I guess if the time comes who knows

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post... As i am not 100% sure about zombies i do feel we will have issues down the road.. This was a very cool way to plan for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your son being uneasy about things. I know my son is scared to death of zombies I keep having to tell him that they are not real. That place looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are one clever Mom to deal with his fears. Congratulations and keep it up! Cheers to all single Moms in the world. May you continue to be an inspiration to them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post! I love that you had him face his fears and think things through :) I watch too much zombie TV and wonder all of the time what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor kiddo! Its hard for them to grasp that stuff at such a young age! But you did great mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a great mom!! Keep up the good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so inspiring. A brave single mom in a country full of poverty and violence, finding the beauty of it all, and teaching your son to find courage, to dream, to have joy in the midst of crisis. I'm sorry that you went through those hurtful experiences, but I'd say they have been worth it and that God is molding you and shaping you to the amazing mom you're becoming: from fights to play... what a positive mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elena, you make my life sound so grand. I suppose we all have a secred grandness in us but mostly we only can see the everyday side of ourselves.

      Delete
  14. Now you just have to follow through with the land purchase, and involve him in as much of the planning, building etc. as is feasibile. It's certainly a good way of turning the negative into a positive. Good luck with it. He's a good looking boy and you're certainly doing the best you can for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Isobel, I agree, he is very handsome :) We really want to buy the land but there are steps and hoops involved with all the paperwork, so I'm taking it slowly and making sure everything is perfect, or as close as possible. It is a beautiful place and he was very excited about the idea of being involved and having his say about what the house will look like and what we will do about the land. I think it's important that he has his say, even if it isn't always to make the place zombie-proof :)

      Delete
  15. It's great of you to help him with this. Some parents I know wouldn't go through all of this. You seem like an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thats great he overcame his fear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This just shows how Satan owns the entertainment business. I am against most movies and shows that come on tv today. Fear is not from the Lord. We need to be careful about what we allow our kids to watch. We do not need to entertained by such evil. Psalm 101:3 says, I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. Philippians 4:8 says, Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8
    I am glad your son is over his fears.
    God bless and protect you both. Thanks for sharing.
    Chris
    somuchathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great mom! Sometimes it helps to play through a fear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, kids deal with stuff in different ways. Beautiful place, by the way.

    ReplyDelete