Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Queen With The Frozen Heart 9




The women stood silently by the fire, their eyes on the ground and heads turned away from the visitor. 

The prince kept closing carefully the little village, trying to look as friendly and non-threatening as possible.

- I have come well, he repeated three times, I have come well to your house.

A universal greeting that everyone knew meant that he had no evil thoughts towards the house and its habitants.

The young boy and his jaguar closed on the prince. He was still carrying his chonta spear, ready to thrust it to the strange man’s heart.

Strangers were a danger and though the man didn’t look like a foreigner, he was not from any nearby village either. Just knowing to speak the same language did not ensure safety for the tribe and the people.
The boy stared at the man and checked his empty hands above his head. He had no concealed weapons in his body either. And he did not look sick or threatening. Since the boy was the oldest one around he had to make the decision. Would the strange man be allowed to live or would he die today?

- My name is Amarun, the prince said.

The boy startled. Amarun, the boa, was a strong name, a magical name. The man must have been a wise man with unseen powers. He stood still for a while, his face impassive, thinking. The man had come as a friend, telling that he had no evil intentions towards them. If he was a magician he could have stayed in the jungle and curse them from there, and no one would be wiser. But if he was a good magician he would be helpful for the village and could bring them blessings and help the village.

This was an important decision and so hard for a young boy to make alone. But he was to be the next kuraka, after his father. He knew that and the village knew that. The jaguar had chosen him. But it made the situation even harder. Everything he did was a test, everything was considered to see if he proved to be worthy.

- You have come well, he finally answered grudgingly and lowered his spear.

- You have come well to our house; he repeated three times and let the stranger walk first to the village long house.

The boy stayed behind him, the spear ready. He had let the strange among them but he would make sure to keep his family safe, no matter how strong magician the man was.
The prince lowered his hands but was careful to keep them where everyone could see them. He greeted the small children and smiled at them while they scurried around shyly. But he did not peek the women, that would have been considered an insult and grossly unmannerly. Not a very good way to start a friendship.

The boy showed him a place where he could sit in the shade of the long house.

- I am Rumi, he said, the stone.

A good name, the prince nodded.

- I am honored to meet you Rumi, the man, Amarun, answered, I am happy to be in your village. It is a beautiful and prosperous village. The children are big and fat; you can see that your men are good hunters. You are fat yourself, I congratulate you.

Rumi nodded content. The man was very courteous. That was a good sign. He must have been brought up properly.

- Our men are hunting the pekari, the wild boar, he explained and showed the general direction with his spear, but they will be back. And then we will feast with meat and chicha. Our women make the best chicha.

He smacked his lips together, rubbed his stomach and smiled.

Sisa had been stealing peeks to the young men while she was working. He was very handsome, and very courteous. He never even looked at the women, just talked with Rumi and smiled at the children.

The children had formed a semicircle around them and listened to the men talking. Most of them were fascinated with the stranger. You did not see so many strange people around here. Just the neighbors from the nearby village, but they were known people. Almost like the people from your own village. Everyone was family of some degree by marriage and blood.
- Sisa, are you dreaming? Rumi’s mother berated the young woman.

- Take the visitor a piche of chicha. The best one, from chonta. So he’ll see how well we eat here.

Sisa took a little bowl made from emptied pumpkin and filled it with chonta chicha. The fruit beer-like chicha had fermented in the hot and humid climate and was ready to be enjoyed. It was only touched by female hands while it was done and served.

Her head bowed down she took small careful steps towards the stranger and rose the bowl to his lips. Amarun drank gladly and enjoyed the sight of the beautiful young girl. He could not see her face; it was hidden behind her black straight hair. But she was young, supple and well-formed. Her hips and breast were round and she had enough meat for a warrior to take a good hold. Beautiful young woman, he decided, very beautiful.




To be continued...

This is the ninth part of the story.


If you want to read the first part of the story go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 1

To read the second part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 2 

To read the third part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 3

To read the fourth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 4

To read the fifth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 5


To read the sixth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 6


To read the seventh part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 7


 To read the eight part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 8

To read the tenth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 10

To read the eleventh part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 11

To read the twelth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 12 

55 comments:

  1. Isn't that just like a man to call a woman beautiful when he can't even see her face. ;) We'll see if a heart string or two gets pulled when he gets to see her true beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great writing! You really have a gift with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other posters, you do have a gift for words. I feel like I am right there when reading your articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Post/Article. such a Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your posts. You're store is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet, another great installment of the story The Queen With The Frozen Heart. I like the way you break it up with picks and make it a nice little read per installment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photos in your posts, I feel like I am with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such captivating writing. Love this! Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great story! Definitely clicking through to read more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the pictures. I really enjoy the glimpse into other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the way you write!! very elegant and you bring us into the story.. and those pictures.. awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a great writer. Thank you for sharing your writing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another fantastic addition to the story! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The boy made a wise choice in letting a stranger be an ally than a foe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I like your take in this article makes one really think about how we treat strangers

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice article , very nice story about something good

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beside from the story that I have been loving now I also like how you share these photos they are very good shots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the story and will be starting from the beginning but I just wanted to say your pictures are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a nice story and I hope people can take heed on this call.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wonder where that attraction is going to go from here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the greeting and being able to know the thoughts behind teh corteous responses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for sharing the next part of the story! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another great installment. I am always amazed by the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is he going to see her face in next story? Interesting Love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great chapter from a great story. I always enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great addition to this story, you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I think she is please too from that slight smile!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am touched by this post. It was a great read, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Every article and every word in your Blog is very much gifted to us ,awesome presentation talent :) :) Loved the way of approach thanks for sharing
    http://www.medizeal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love reading each segment! Very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like that you used a picture of a baby being worn! I like to see other baby wearing in different countries!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another great part to such a great story. I love reading them.

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for more of the story...waiting for the next part :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a really good story! I am off to read the rest I have my glass of tea in hand also! Thanks for this I needed a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is a great story. I live how you give a piece at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really enjoy seeing your pictures and reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have really enjoyed this story so far! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amazingly well written. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm loving all of these stories but I am really loving the photos. I'm seeing a few baby wearing ladies, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I feel so bad for the little boy sometimes, especially when I see him pictured as you have him here. Where will he go next?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love that you have been sharing these stories with us. Your writing really brings it all alive for me.

    ReplyDelete
  42. You're a great writer and always incorporate great pictorials to bring the story to life!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great writing and this post really keeps your attention. I love the pictures. Very vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very interesting story. I will have to go back and read the others. I love the babywearing picture.

    ReplyDelete
  45. always a great post from you. and great pictures of a culture I am learning about through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks for sharing another great installment. As always, I am captivated by the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you for sharing your stories. It was nice that you incorporated past posts in this one so that I could click back to ones that I may have missed!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Another interesting chapter. Can't wait to read what is next.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for the story - great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Loving this story. The pictures only enhance your beautiful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I so love your photos. You take amazing photos. Every picture has a story!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow, I just joined in at this section of the story. Now I have to go back and check out the rest, LOL! Thanks for linking up at Creative Spark Link Party! Hope to see you again Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  53. You are a magnificent writer, your words always resonate with me. I love that the words you type always speak to me in some way. Thank you for this. Keep up the fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Brandy. It is a great encouragement for me!

      Delete
  54. What an interesting post. Thank you for sharing it and the great pictures

    ReplyDelete