Friday, February 21, 2014

Gospel Friday Countdown

My childhood and early youth in the 80s and early 90s was the prime time of hair rock.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Whitecross was one of my favorite bands back in the ages.

Since retro is fashionable I thought it was time to take out some old Whitecross songs and try them out.
“Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was-can look at an old woman, protray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be...and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart...no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, Ben. Growing old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired-but it does to them.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

I must say they bring back a lot of memories of youth services, mixed tapes and awkward smiles and glances between the sexes.

I can almost remember how the basement of our church smelled when we had our youth meetings there.

And who can remember those nights when no one had time to sleep at youth camps and missions.
“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, NIV)”
Or the girls giggling together in the corner and glancing boys across the room...

The best friends, and first crushes...

We did listen to the teaching, too.

But youth is such a hormonal induced time.
“Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And too often is his gold complexion dimm'd:
And every fair from fair sometimes declines,
By chance or natures changing course untrimm'd;
By thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.”
― William Shakespeare, Shakespeare's Sonnets
 
There was time for awesome worship and amazing concerts, nights when we sang together to praise the Lord.

Days spent in prayer, searching God's will.

Amongst everythings else, my heart did search God and His love.
“Our lives were just beginning, our favorite moment was right now, our favorite songs were unwritten.”
― Rob Sheffield, Love is a Mix Tape
In George Bernard Shaw's words: Youth is wasted on the young.


5. Simple Man


I am a simple woman and I love the Lord.

I know He'll provide my needs.

Yes, I'm a simple woman and I love the Lord.

His love is everything to me.

4. In The Kingdom


One King, One Crown, One Reign, for ever more.

That's what we're heading for.

We are nation, we belong, let us all stand together, in the Kingdom.

No more darkness, no more night, we are children of the light.

Let us all work together, in the Kingdom.


3. Because of Jesus


A song with real and awesome rock shouting and screaming.

And what would be a hair band without the guitar solo.

I think Whitecross was the master of guitar solos.

2. He is the rock


Another song with the guitar wailing and screaming for mercy.

He is the rock!

On which I stand!

1. No Second Chances


My absolute, all time favorite song from Whitecross.

I have no idea how many times I have listened to this.

There are no second chances, to listen to lies!


 What are your favorite Christian rock bands and song?

Do you have amazing memories of your youth and Christian music?

Share them with all of us!

17 comments:

  1. I honestly do not listen to Christian music. Even with a father who almost became a priest I have never been very religious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have our favorites, Sofia. What kind of music do you enjoy?

      Delete
  2. I love alternative music but actually prefer religious music more traditional. My favorite is chanting- Id love to one day hear a choir of nuns or monks singing inside a monastery. Modern religious music just doesn't affect me the same way though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chanting also! It has a majestity in it that cannot be compared with anything else.

      Delete
  3. I do not listen to christian rock, but i am a alternative rock listener. We are not to religious since we are a mixed religion home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this proved an enjoyable experience for you then, Robert.

      Delete
  4. I've heard Christian rock a couple of times and enjoyed it. I really enjoy listening to Christian music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures! They convey the fun time you and the girls are having. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the costumes. They're so much fun, and the colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aye, youth can be wasted on the young if they don't stop to reflect... I enjoy visiting with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like everyone had fun in the pictures! I have heard Whitecross before. My listen to a variety of music. I usually listen while running so it has to have a fast tempo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures are from a Carnival in Baeza, here in Ecuador. I think Whitecross would make quite good running music.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy listening to music in my car.. that is the most peaceful moment especially with toddlers around me all day.. once i drive a bit, they fall asleep and i get my gospel music on... you guys look like you had fun...keep up the good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually listen to music in the car, too. It's the best place, because you are sitting and can actually listen and enjoy it. At home there is always someone or something loud going on.

      Delete
  10. I love that quotation about the artist toward the top of your post.

    ReplyDelete