Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day Crafts with Special Education Teachers



I am not really a huge fan of Valentine's Day.

In Finland it's Friendship Day, in Ecuador it's called Day of Love and Friendship.

For me, it is understandable that people want to celebrate their love and friendship.

But mostly, I'm with the crowd who thinks Valentine's Day is a made up holiday.
So why did I change my opinion and made this post?

I actually didn't.

But we are having a teacher training with Special Education teachers.

And for students with special needs, love and friendship are very hard concepts to grasp.
For someone who doesn't really understand abstract concepts, love needs to be made concrete.

And so does friendship.

The only way to do it?

You need to love them and be their friend.
Here are the ways that the teachers decided to explain what love and friendship are to their students.

Some of the DIY works are better than others.

But each of these crafts have been made with great love and care.
The students might not be able to read the message.

Or write one themselves.

They might not even be able to say it, or do a simple card or craft to give back to the teacher.
But they can apreciate a gift from heart.

And be happy when someone pays attention to them and gives them their time.

So even this Valentine's Day Grinch had to finally change her opinion.





I still reserve the oportunity to not to buy anything for Valentine's Day.

But I am totally convinced that Valentine's Day crafts come from the heart and can be a true gift of love and friendship.

Here is mine:


19 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed the idea of Valentine's Day and I like the intention behind it. I like the crafts that the teachers made for their students, and hope that the gesture is understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna. I like the idea also. Love and friendship are something worth to celebrate. I just don't like how commercial it is.

      Delete
  2. So many great craft ideas. I used to love Holiday crafts when I was in school.

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just brought so many memories to my mind, Michelle. I hadn't even thought about it but yes! Holiday crafts were great!

      Delete
  3. What cute crafts! My husband and I don't celebrate Valentines Day either, because his grandfather died on that day. Plus, it's just a marketing ploy for businesses to sell flowers and jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's grandfather. My condolences. And I agree with you, Valentine's Day is all about marketing and consuming.

      Delete
  4. They turned out really good. I like that everyone got a bit more creative as it went on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Kichwas really love doing crafts, so they were having a lot of fun.

      Delete
  5. Cute crafts!! We are not big fans of it either but I do buy my wife and kids something

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's easier for women to say that they don't care about Valentine's Day, Robert. But if a man says that he's going to really upset his wife or his girlfriend.

      Delete
  6. This looks like such a fun day! What cute crafts! Happy Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creative and very cute! Happy valentines day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never really been a valentines day person and wondered why we have to make such a big deal out of one day a year. Lets show our love every day. But when kids make incredibly cute valentines, I become a sucker! These are adorable crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful object lesson for the kids! They did a great job on their Valentines too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful creations! I'm kinda drawn to those huge bags of glitter, I could make everything sparkle!! To us around here the only real use for Valentines day is the crafts we get to make with hearts, glitter, and love messages. :) Those are some really great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the pictures you took. It is quite interesting to see inside another teacher's lesson (I guess it's the teacher geek in me!) Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet craft idea. My girls want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are all some great photos and I love Valentine's Day crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. such cute ideas! Love the hands that open up with the heart in the center!

    ReplyDelete