Saturday, May 31, 2014

Why do you sing - Maya Angelou




“I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
― Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou, the internationally celebrated poet and author, died at 86 on Wednesday, May 28. 

In addition to her trove of writings about her heartbreaking childhood, her convictions on civil rights, and dozens of film, television and play scripts, Angelou often wrote about her faith as well.


 "While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God's creation."
Maya Angelou

"And finally I said, "God loves me" [crying]. It still humbles me that this force that makes leaves and fleas and stars and rivers and you, loves me. Me, Maya Angelou. It's amazing. I can do anything. And do it well. Any good thing, I can do it. That's why I am who I am, yes, because God loves me and I'm amazed at it. I'm grateful for it."

Maya Angelou
“Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.”
― Maya Angelou, Phenomenal Woman: Four Poems Celebrating Women


“Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.”
― Maya Angelou

20 comments:

  1. THis lovely recording of I rise brings back the voice! http://www.upworthy.com/maya-angelou-wrote-this-poem-to-remind-everyone-theyre-worth-so-much-more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love The Photos Quotes Are Right On The Money They Are So Very True!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute to Maya Angelou. I always enjoy your post. This is one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maya Angelou was inspiration to a lot of people. She's one of the greatest writers- poet- of our time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIP Maya Angelou. Honestly I haven't gotten to know her or her work when she was living. It was only when we heard the news about her passing when I read her great works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow awesome writings. She wrote such inspirational things for all. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore Maya Angelou and my heart broke when she died. She was my muse in college. "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" moved me beyond tears and I learned just how lyrical she was when she wrote. Her endless work for social changes will never be forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post touched my heart. Beautiful! She always had such inspiring words to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tribute to Maya Angelou. We read some of her works at school

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her poetry and legends don't die, they live through their work

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her works would live on. She can really convey positive motivations on her works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great tribute to Maya Angelou. She is deeply missed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are some awesome quotes by such an amazing woman.

    Michelle F.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are amazing quotes, the first one is so very true. It's a quote I live by & teach my kids the life lessons of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quotes and the photos are full of meanings. They are just really worthy to keep as reminders of how we should be grateful in our life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was fortunate enough to get to see her speak one time and she lived in the city closest to my town. Maya Angelou was an inspiration to many and will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never knew her until I read your post. She wrote beautiful words that could touch anybody's heart. I love everything she said.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came over here from 'blogging to success' on FB. I lit up when I saw the word Ecuador. We leave June 19 for 20 days. I think I'm gonna want to stay longer. :) I too have loved to listen to the words of Maya Angelou since I was introduced to her via the the first Clinton Inauguration in 1993 when she read a poem On The Pulse Of Morning. She was a very calming spirit in the world.
    I'll be blogging about Ecuador while I'm there :) Here's my first Ecuador post http://www.notquitewonderwoman.com/ecuador-post-1-pre-trip-40-days-away-the-countdown/ I'm gonna go look around your site now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my site, Angie. How exciting that you found me. I will go read your blog also and I hope you really enjoy your stay here in Ecuador!

      Delete
  19. I love Maya Angelou. Her death is now a true celebration of the life she lived. You picked some of my favorites and love the photos.

    ReplyDelete