Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Civic Parade - Pictures from Ecuador

Ecuador has no independence day.

Instead of a general independence day for the whole country, each city and town has their own independence day.

The date when they achieve the independence from the Spanish conquerors. 

The towns that do not have an independence day celebrate their foundation dates instead.

Sometimes a town, or a city, has two dates, like Quito and Guayaquil, Ecuador's biggest cities.

They celebrate both their founding days and independence days.

In the case of Quito and Guayaquil, their independence days are national holidays.

Most of independence days, as the founding days, are just local holidays.
Muy Noble y Muy Leal Ciudad de Baeza del Espíritu Santo de la Nueva Andalucía or the Very Noble and Very Loyal City of Baeza of the Holy Spirit of New Andalucía is a town in Northeastern Ecuador, it is more commonly known simply as Baeza.

Baeza only has founding day, but it is a very proud date.
Because on 14th of May on the year of 1559 39 Spanish soldiers with their Capitan Gil Ramírez Dávaloz founded the town of Baeza.

Which makes it one of the oldest towns in Ecuador.
To conmemorate this historical date every year, the town and municipality organizes a civic parade with the students from the different school and high school.

The different social organizations, municipality and service providers, like the hospital, also participate in the parade.

10 comments:

  1. I like parades, they are so much fun and can tell a story of the past..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so much fun taking photos in Ecuador. Of course that's what I do but every day since we've been home I've scanned through and edited a few more. I keep finding new good one that I wish I had put in a post. But I can't share over 3,000 photos! We didn't see a parade but we were the when Ecuador was playing in the World Cup finals! I wanted them to win so we could watch the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel, April. There is so MUCH to see and experience and take pictures of here in Ecuador. I have loads and loads of pics, too. But it's so much fun to use them as illustration!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy these posts! It is great to learn more about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is pretty neat that each town has their own day. I haven't been to a parade in ages. =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This so reminds me of my childhood in a small town in The Dominican Republic. I used to dance with the baton and dress up for independence day. I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it must be quite similar. I'm glad I could bring you back happy memories :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I have never been to Ecuador but these pics make me want to book a trip very soon.

    Thrifting Diva
    www.thriftingdiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I can't wai tot visit Ecuador now. I see your posts and it just makes me want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really cool seeing all of these photos and what other countries do. Parades are universal though!

    ReplyDelete