Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Queen With The Frozen Heart 13



With the morning sun a mist rose from the river and in the mist the boa people.

Silently they walked above the ground, with two feet, just like any other people.

Their hair was black and the skin color of copper.

Their movements were graceful; like a dancer, waving her hair and inviting her future husband.

They were beautiful people, strong and powerful people.

 The men of the village held their wives and their children and whispered promises of brief return. 
Not a tear left an eye that morning; it would have been bad luck to cry, wailing like over a corpse.

The runners had returned with more warriors from nearby villages.

Counting the heavy war spears, the prince could see that he had more than hundred men with him.
  Besides them stood the boa men whose numbers rose and declined when some of them entered the river and returned afterwards.

- We must go now, Amarun raised his spear and run into the foliage.

In the shadow waited his loyal bear, aproaching him it sniffed him quickly.

The warriors nodded, content, a bear was sign of strong magic.

A sign of the strength and power of their prince.

- Cacique, they called him, leader and chief.
 Together they run through the forest, wary of the sharp sting of chonta thorns or the touch of the poisonous leaves.

- Do not worry, Amarun told them, I will call the land and it will seek the best place for your feet to land.
 The men nodded and ran, and they could feel how the earth accommodated itself to their feet and gave them more spring, making them even faster than before.

But still they were wary of the poisonous snakes slithering above them and the bite of the great tarantulas.
- Do not worry, the prince told them, I will call the wind and ask it to sweep the leaves and branches from our path and nothing will be able to get to you in secret.

Now the men run without a worry or fear because their women had painted the skin around their eyes black with wituk seeds’ juice so that the jaguar and puma would be afraid of them.

 Early in the morning, before sun rose the kuraka had brushed them with guayusa leaves and blew tobacco smoke on them.

All their eyes were rubbed with fresh chili pepper to make them strong and able to see beyond mere mortal realm.
No matter how hard it stung, not one of them had shed a tear.

But they had breathed the smoke from the purifying fire of the kuraka and they were prepared to meet their faith.

 There was nothing that could touch them or scare them anymore.

And so they run, faster than the wind, their feet barely touching the earth and then springing back to the air.

Even the air and the wind carried them, further and further along until they were closing to the clearing where the prince was to meet with the woman, Iluku.




To be continued...

This is the thirteenth part of the story.

If you want to read the first part of the story, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 1  

To read the second part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 2 

To read the third part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 3

To read the fourth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 4

To read the fifth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 5.


To read the sixth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 6


To read the seventh part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 7


 To read the eight part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 8

To read the ninth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 9


To read the tenth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 10


To read the eleventh part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 11


To read the twelth part, go to The Queen With The Frozen Heart 12

66 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page. Baby Hampers Australia Fruit hampers fruit gift baskets online from Fruitcorp Fruit Hampers. Gifts for all Occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to go back and read from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how this flows, and the pictures assist in the entire story..since the photos are not stock photos it give it a much deeper impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I'm glad you still enjoy the story, after so many chapters :)

      Delete
  4. Another great section of the story. I love the photos and the pacing of the story. Must share, so others can be come hooked too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Paula. I hope to get as many hooked as possible ;)

      Delete
  5. I guess I'll have to start from the beginning because I have no idea what's going on. Nice read though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy the whole story, Lissa. Let me know what you thought about it!

      Delete
  6. I love seeing all the pictures from Ecuador. I will have to read the other parts to this story as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures! I loved getting to see more of the culture

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those photos are amazing. I'm going to bookmark so I can come back and read the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an amazing read, the photos are fab

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep them coming! I can't believe we are all the way up to #13 already!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your poetic posts! They are so lovely and share so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. It is a tradition here. It is believed that it makes the person stronger.

      Delete
  13. I have had a tiny bit of chili in the eye and I certainly shed tears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children learn young not to, Jen. It hurts more because it makes the chili spread. You have to keep your eyes wide open and be careful not to blink. Or it'll really hurt.

      Delete
  14. Oh my! Amazing photos, and an encapturing story... I have to admit, having a huge issue with spice and sort of cringed at rubbing chili in your eyes- and yet see the link with seeing beyond mortal vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a tradition I enjoy either, Debbie. But it is part of the culture.

      Delete
  15. A great story, although ouch to the chilli pepper!! So interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm gunna start from the beginning! Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the whole story, Jordan! I'm glad you liked this part :)

      Delete
  17. Very cool, love the photos and all the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely, positively love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this story, you write so well! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always love your pictures! Great story, thanks for continuing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful and sounds like such an amazing experience. I would love to visit Ecuador someday - your photos are inspirational. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great story and a great experience. Love it! Amber N

    ReplyDelete
  23. Going back to start at Part 1. Keep writing! You're talented.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love looking at your photos....Amazing stories!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great story! Your photos go along with it nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are such a talented descriptive writer! Do you get inspired by the photographs or place the corresponding photographs after?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words, Jen. I place the photographs after writing the story but I did have a chance to take few pictures this week that helped me to decide how the story will end. So it is also inspired by the pictures :)

      Delete
  27. An interesting read. Can't believe they put chilis in their eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautifully written and illustrated through photos!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your pictures are lovely. Really opens my eyes to other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so far behind... LOL! I need to read the first 12 posts :) Awesome pix, as usual! Love their attire and traditions...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I need to read the posts before this one but its so cool how things are so different I our worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, what a great story. And those photos are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm really going to have to start from the beginning with this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm going to be sad when it comes to an end. Are you having it published in print?

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a breath of fresh air this post (series) is - some stunning photography too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. A great story and I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a great story! I definitely would love to go back and read from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love seeing all your pictures from Ecuador, there so interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love these pictures! they go with the story so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Absolutely stunning photos! I will have to catch up on the story sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Keeps me wanting more! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ok, now I feel like I'm a bit lost. Glad to see all the links to where I need to go though. :) This one is quite a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your words paint a colourful picture. I think I'll need to go and read this from the start.

    ReplyDelete